Makes about 1 quart
IngredientsA little over 2 cup sliverd almonds
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
5 egg yolks
1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur
¼ tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cups heavy cream
Procedures• Preheat the oven to 375. Spread the almonds in a single layer on a clean baking sheet and toast them for 12 to 14 minutes, or until they are golden brown and aromatic.
• Remove the almonds from the oven and place them in a medium saucepan with the heavy cream, milk and heat over medium heat until it simmers, stirring occasionally.
• Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Strain out the almond pieces.
• In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy and lightened in color. While whisking constantly, pour the milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture and mix until combined.
• Return the mixture to the pan, set over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens. Pour the custard into a bowl and let cool, add Amaretto and almond extract, and cover and refrigerate until cold.
• Transfer the custard to a gelato maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Chill before serving
Updated from : Passionate Pursuit: How to Gelato