Pumpkin Spice Gelato
Makes 1 quart
Ingredients3 c whole milk
¼ c heavy cream
2/3 c dark brown sugar
1/3 c sugar
¾ c pumpkin puree
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground allspice
Procedures• In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, brown sugar, and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until thick and dark beige, but still grainy, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
• Heat the milk, cream, and spices in a saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles frizzle along the pan’s inner rim. Do not let the mixture come to a boil.
• Whisk half of the warm milk into the egg yolk mixture until smooth. Whisk this combined mixture back into the remaining warm milk.
• Whisk in the canned pumpkin; immediately turn the heat down to the lowest setting.
• Cook slowly, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and can coat the back of a wooden spoon.
• Strain through a fine-mesh sieve or cheese cloth to remove any sediment, and refrigerate, covered, until cold.
• Process in gelato maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
• Chill before serving
Updated from : Passionate Pursuit: How to Gelato